From “Mediterranean: Over 300 Sun-Drenched Recipes”
- good pinch saffron strands
- 1 eggplant, cut into thin chunks
- 90ml/6 tsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 yellow pepper, sliced
- 1 red pepper, sliced
- 10 ml/2 tsp paprika
- 225g/8 oz, 1 cups uncooked rice or 1 cup risotto
- 600ml/1 pint/ 2 cups vegetable stock
- 450g/1lb fresh tomatoes, skinned and chopped
- 115g/4 oz sliced mushrooms
- 115g/4 oz green beans
- 400g/14 oz can chick peas in their liquid
- ground pepper
- Steep the saffron in 3 Tbsp hot water.
- Sprinkle the eggplant with salt, leave to drain in a colander for 30 minutes, then rinse and drain.
- In a large paella, frying pan, or stock pot, heat the oil and fry the onion, garlic, eggplant and peppers for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Sprinkle in the paprika and stir again.
- Mix in the rice, then pour in the stock, tomatoes, green beans and saffron. Bring to a boil and simmer for 15 minutes, uncovered, shaking the pan frequently and stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the mushrooms and chick peas. Continue cooking for 10 minutes, then serve hot from the pan.