Spicy carrots, peas, and potatoes
Recipe from The Best of India – A Cookbook, Balraj Khanna, CollinsPublishersSanFrancisco, 1993. ISBN 0-00-255223-X
- 5 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 cut thinly sliced onions
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound new potatoes, peeled & cut in 1/4-inch slices
- 1/2 pound carrots, cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 2 to 3 teaspoons water
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1/4 cut finely chopped fresh coriander, for garnish
In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil over high heat until very hot but not smoking. Add the cumin seeds and cook, stirring constantly, 30 seconds or until the are pop and blacken. Reduce the heat to medium, add the remaining oil and the onions, and cook 10 minutes, or until the onions are lightly browned.
Stir in the turmeric, chili, coriander, and salt. Reduce the heat to low, add the potatoes and carrots, and toss until the vegetables are coated with the spices. Cook, covered, 15 minutes. Stir in 2 tablespoons water and cook 5 minutes longer, adding 1 more tablespoon water if the mixture sticks to the pan. Stir in the peas and cook, covered, 5 minutes, or until tender. Serve garnished with the fresh coriander. Serves 4.