Samir Singh’s Family Saag Paneer (Spinach with cheese)
- 2 lbs frozen spinach
- 2 cups chopped broccoli
- 2 tablespoons cumin seeds
- 2 large bay leaves
- 1 large chopped white onion
- 3 tablespoons chopped/grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic (optional)
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes
- 3-4 tablespoons ground coriander
- 3/4 tablespoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 tablespoons garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon (to taste) ground cayenne pepper
- Heat 3-4 tablespoons of oil in pan. Add cumin seeds and bay leaves; cook for a minute or two — until seeds blacken and pop.
- Add chopped onion and stir. Let cook until onion is translucent.
- Add spinach, broccoli, and all spices. Stir and cook until tender. Add water as needed.
- Blend cooked mixture, preferably with an in-pot wand blender.
Serve with rice.