Eastern Polish Borscht, from Theresa’s cooking club, 12 Feb 2010
- 3 carrots, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 3 normal red beets, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 4 golden beets, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 onion, chopped into quarters
- 1 potato, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 2 parsnips
- 32 oz container of mushroom broth
- Splash of orange juice
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Sour cream
- In a baking dish, put all vegetables and toss with olive oil. Salt and pepper.
- Bake 25 minutes at 425 until softened
- Put vegetables into stock pot, add mushroom broth. Bring to boil and simmer for an hour.
- Cool, then let sit in refrigerator overnight.
- Bring to room temperature. Blend.
- Add water to bring it to soup consistency. Add salt, pepper, cinnamon, and splash of orange juice (secret ingredient). Simmer.
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream
Enjoy with Russian Standard vodka!